Another Classic vegan/vegetarian & gluten free Entree from the Make Food Thy Medicine Kitchen. Contains 40 grams of protein & good fats that come from Avocado oil, this recipe can be your star entree for holiday parties & potlucks. Serve it with edamame noodles, quinoa or brown rice.
Cook Time- 20 mins
Prep Time- 10 mins
1) 1 pack of extra firm Tofu
2) 1 cup of chopped onion/ green onions
3) 3 big cloves of garlic
4) 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
5) 1/4 cup tomato paste/no sugar added ketchup
6) 1 tablespoon Dark soya sauce
7) 1/2 tsp salt
8) 1 tsp cane sugar
9) 1/2 cup water
10) 1 tsp red chili powder/ red chili flakes or 2-3 green chilies or jalapenos (adjust to taste)
11) 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
12) 3 tablespoons Avocado oil or EVOO
1) Dry the extra firm tofu and cut into equal sized cubes.
2) In a broad-based pan, add 3 tablespoons of oil
3) Line up all tofu pieces in the pan and turn the gas on high
4) Cook on high heat for 6-7 minutes until the cooked side gets a nice golden brown color
5) Flip the tofu pieces and cook the other side
6) While the tofu is cooking, prepare the sauce
7) In a bowl, add water, tomato sauce/ketchup, soya sauce, salt, sugar, chili powder, and mix well
8) Once tofu is cooked golden brown on both sides, remove from pan and let it drain on a dish lined with paper towel to drain off excess oil
9)In the same pan, add onions, garlic, and a little cilantro and cook until they caramelize, about 1-2 mins
10) Now add the sauce, add part of the cilantro and cook it down until the sauce thickens about 1-2 mins on high heat.
11) Once the sauce reduces, add tofu pieces to the pan and coat them well with the sauce
12) Bring the sauce coated Tofu into a serving dish
13) Garnish with toasted sesame seeds, cilantro & serve
Serving Suggestion – As main entree with Edamame or Whole Wheat noodles or with brown rice & quinoa.