A healthy twist to the classic rice pudding !! substitute with Quinoa which is 71% water, 21 % carbs – mainly starches & fiber – soluble & insoluble (feeds the gut bacteria) 4.4 % protein & 1.3% fat. How’s that for a healthy treat? Give it a Southeast Asian twist by adding rose water & powdered cardamom. Make it vegan by substituting whole milk for almond milk. The possibilities are endless!!!!
Prep Time- 5 mins
Cook Time – 30 mins
1) 2.5 cups whole milk or almond milk (if making vegan)
2) 1 cup heavy cream
3) 1/3 or 1/2 cup cane sugar (adjust to taste)
4) 1/2 cup washed quinoa
5) 2-3 tablespoons Rosewater
6) 1/3 cup chopped almonds
7) 1 tablespoon cardamom powder
8) 1-2 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter
1) Wash 1/2 cup quinoa
2) In an Instant Pot (IP), add ghee. turn on sauté mode.
3) Once the ghee is melted, add quinoa to IP.
4) Roast for 2 mins
5)Add milk, heavy cream & sugar. Mix
6) Seal the IP on sealing mode
7) Cancel sauté mode.
8)Cook on slow cook or porridge mode for 30 mins
9) Let pressure release naturally
10) Open lid of IP, mix
11) Add cardamom powder, rose water & chopped almonds. Mix
12) Chill for 2 hours
1) It can be served warm or chilled, but it tastes much better the next day!!!
2) If you prefer thicker consistency, then you may have to boil the milk for 30 more mins on sauté mode after cooking on porridge / slow cook mode.