If you are looking for a sugar-free recipe this holiday season, look no more. This is an easy breezy sweet & nutrient-dense recipe which can be used by keto & paleo dieters.
Figs are a rich source of calcium, iron & fiber. Dates are a good source of iron, natural sugars, fiber & sulphur. the two together make a delectable dessert which is low on the glycemic index as we use ghee & nuts to make these rolls. So dig in, your waistline won’t complain!!!
Servings – Makes 10 rolls
Cooking Time- 15 mins
Prep Time – 10 mins
1) 1 cup of dried figs
2) 1 cup of pitted dates
3) 2 tablespoons of ghee or clarified butter
4) 2 tablespoons of chopped almonds
5) 2 tablespoons of chopped cashews
6) 1- 2 tablespoons chopped pistachios
7) 1 tablespoon cardamom powder
8) 1 tablespoon poppy seeds for garnish
1) soak the dry figs in 1 cup of hot water for 30 mins.
2) Drain the water & dry figs completely using either clean muslin cloth or paper towels
3) Blend dry softened figs & dates in a blender to a coarse mixture
4) Heat a pan & melt 1 tablespoon of ghee
5) Add nuts to pan and roast them for 1-2 mins
6) Remove nuts to a plate and let them cool. we will use them soon.
7) Add rest of ghee to pan and once it melts add the fig-date mixture
8) The mixture is initially coarse and hard to mix but within a few minutes, it starts softening and easily leaves sides of pan. Make sure heat is medium.
9) Add nuts and cardamom to pan
10) Mix everything well for 2 more mins until nuts and cardamom are fully incorporated into fig date mixture
11) Bring mixture down to a plate and let it cool
12) Lightly grease a working surface with very small amounts of ghee
13) Bring fig-date & nut mixture on the working surface and roll it with your hands into an elongated log or roll – see video.
14) Spread poppy seeds on working surface and roll the fig -date log over it until completely covered by poppy sides on all sides
15) cover in plastic wrap & refrigerate for 4 hrs at least
16) cut into half- 1 inch round cylinders & serve!!!
Youtube :Figs and Date Rolls